To mark the tenth centenary of the first Lisbon Treaty referendum on 12 June 2008, when a majority of the Irish electorate voted against its ratification, the editors have brought forward this festschrift – a collection of scholarly essays by prominent contributors – to acknowledge and celebrate the contribution to society and academia of Anthony 'Tony' Coughlan. Tony has been Ireland's foremost intellectual activist on European Union affairs. Over the last half-century, no one has done more to question the E.U.'s unaccountable elite as they siphon off power from elected national parliaments in order to create a centralised united states of Europe, and an E.U.-NATO army. He has articulated the case for a Europe of independent and cooperating nation states, and Statesman-like, he continues to call our politicians, institutions and media to democratic account and professional accuracy with the National Platform.
The contributors to the publication have all been associated in some way with Tony’s work and have given generously of their time and talents. Their wide-ranging essays encompass the concerns of a lifetime of activism, and though some may not agree with all of the stances taken by Tony, all fulsomely recognise the value and significance of his contribution to political debate in this country.
The publication's principal features include:
- Eighteen thoughtful and challenging essays
- A front cover portrait of Tony that captures his intellectual bearing and personal warmth by one of Ireland's most lauded artists, Robert Ballagh
- Pages: xviii, 160
- Unique photos, some dating back to Tony's time in England, 1958-61
- Top quality publishing craftsmanship by CRM Design + Print Ltd., Dublin 12
- A limited edition, each copy bearing a unique number
- Cost: €25, hardback, with gold coloured ribbon
Aided by Tony's position as an Associate Professor Emeritus at T.C.D., the T.C.D. Association and Trust awarded a grant towards some of the costs incurred in printing this festschrift.
Edited by: Frank Keoghan, Ruan O'Donnell & Michael Quinn
Contact: Michael Quinn. Email: email@example.com Tel.: 086-3847463